Tuesday, August 19, 2008

around the kitchen sink

Some of my favorite memories of growing up have taken place in the kitchen. Specifically, my Granny's kitchen and usually during holidays. Still to this day the best times with my family, or the women in my family have been shared in the kitchen. It doesn't matter whose house we are at or what's going on. Either preparing a meal or cleaning up after a meal, there has been and is still a group of us in there. We are visiting, sharing in our days and important details of our lives or just silly things that have happened recently all while we are helping one another and taking part in the collaborative task at hand. There is not one moment i can remember or one picture i have seen that is of 1 person in the kitchen alone!
When we bought this house, my biggest concern was that the kitchen is not very big and a bit closed off from the rest of that part of the house. I want and need a kitchen that can carry lots of hands, lots of laughter and lots of hugs...
Tonight before, but especially after Bible study I realized how i love a crowded kitchen and how my family has grown. These women that shared their lives and love and load tonight are wonderful and I can't imagine a time when they were not a part of my family. A time before we knew each other and before we talked to each other, before we had anything in common and before they meant so much to me does not even exist in my heart! A woman who is usually a follower, lead us in to do the dinner dishes together. A new woman to the group jumped into the room and conversation like she has always been with us. A previously awkward and immature woman offered very knowledgeable input to the conversation. And a generally independent woman who would rather do it herself than think about putting someone else out not only let us help clean her kitchen but began to ask for our help.
We may not solve the world's problems in that kitchen BUT we did clear the sink and we did form accountability toward each other and for others in our family. And the prayers that go up in that room...WOW!!! God is amazing and works is great ways, even in the place originally held for servants...and that in itself is lesson!

2 comments:

Dana said...

God bless the members of our family that He grafts in!!

Jackie said...

How amazingly cool is this: I was thinking the same things! I had decided to end the study at 8 so we can have more time in the kitchen.

jenn, we are joined at the heart for life. Blood (Christ's) is really thicker than water.


wow